Barcelona


Oh the magical land that is Barcelona... just looking back at these photos makes me miss its lively atmosphere and whimsical architecture abound! I don't know why I never really considered Spain as top on my list of countries to visit, but boy am I glad the Ryanair tickets were cheap and it became our spring break destination -- I absolutely loved my time there.

We indulged ourselves in all of the touristy offerings during the first few days, wandering through the majestic land that is Parc Guell, streets strewn with pink blossoms falling from the mouths of tropical parrots and live reggae beats vibrating throughout the hillside. From the stacked stone columns to the mismatched tile in the famous wraparound bench, and all of the topsy turvy Wonderland-esque visions of Antoni Gaudi, everything was so beautiful and charming we never wanted to leave the park glistening in Spanish sunshine. We also paid visits to the Petrera, which was unfortunately under construction and covered by an ugly ad, and Casa Batllo, which was probably my favorite building. As crazy as the architecture was, every glass window and wooden accent was filled with so much meaning like the prehistoric spine that was the staircase and the ripples on the ceiling that reminisced of a stone hitting a pond. As super stylized as it was, the home felt so cozy and inviting, and I could feel the great care that Gaudí had invested in all of the spaces.

The one of the most incredible sights of the trip was, of course, the Sagrada Familia. I didn't know that it is still being constructed and that five more towers will be added sometime by 2026, I believe they were saying, but it is quite impressive as it is. The audioguide was fantastic and I learned so much about all of the imagery in the facade and Gaudí's perfectionism in the lighting that seeped through the stained glass and raised clear windows, illuminating the forest-like columns that enclosed the space and creating the perfect venue for reflection and meditation, as Gaudí intended to invite visitors to partake in regardless of their religious beliefs. I don't quite know how to explain the awe and calmness that is felt while walking through this pure kaleidoscope forest, but it is a sensation I will never forget. There is also a pretty cool story to go along with our visit which includes a small crowd of people around a few vans with tinted windows that we passed as we were exploring the outer facade. We weren't quite sure what was happening and stopped to take a look when a girl threw herself at one of the car doors crying and yelling "Beyonce!" We had no idea if Beyonce was actually there (or even in Spain, nevertheless visiting Sagrada Familia on the same day we booked our tickets), and everyone was murmuring "Beyonce? Beyonce?" We continued around and into the church at our allotted time beyond confused at what had just happened, but upon future investigation we confirmed that indeed we had breathed the same air and were just a few feet away from the world's greatest power couple (proof photos here)!

Aside from immersing ourselves in the wonderful world of Gaudí, time was spent on the mediterranean beach every day despite the slight chill which reminded me of how much I love (and miss) the ocean, and we ran into amazing surprises like a park filled with ornate fountains, a lake full of rowboats, and Spanish families and friends enjoying the crisp spring air, dancing and playing instruments outside. I spent my last two days exploring the different neighborhoods including Gracias, Raval, El Born, L'Eixampel, and the Gothic Quarter. Each had its own distinct flair and I really enjoyed the Gracias neighborhood which was filled with boutiques, local markets, and street art (I found some Alice pieces during my random wanderings which was super exciting). As different as the vibe was from Rome, there were also a lot of similarities which was cool to see. I really enjoyed the liveliness of the entire city and their love for Barcelona (evident in the many, many flags hanging in the windows), and I can't wait to come back some day... hopefully in the summer time sunshine!
Tags: × ×

0 comments